I started with some cheapo fabric. I had 2 yards of each color, but only used a yard of each.
It doesn't have to be high quality fabric, mine was $1.00 a yard. Clearance Baby!!
I used this fancy cutting tool and mat of my mom's. I don't know what its called, but I have seen her cut fabric for quilts with it, so I'm assuming that is the purpose of it.
I didn't measure anything accept the length. The length of all the pieces were the same (or a least close) and the width was just wherever I happen cut it. Pretty mathematically calculated, I know.
So, basically cut a billion strips, like so.
Then using a wreath from the Dollar Tree, I tied the fabric around the wreath.
I found it most time effective, to just tie lie this...
... and then just mush them together, by sliding them down. Again, I know this tutorial is awesome: mushing, spastic cutting.... yeah I'm pretty much a professional.
It will begin to look like so. Tie away as you watch TV.
It is really easy, and requires almost no skill. I mean hey, if I can do it anyone can. Material and I aren't friends, but this project may have brought us closer.
Now that the wreath part was done, I wanted to add something to the middle.
I found this 'x' and 'o' in the Christmas clearance at Hobby Lobby. They were 90% off, so I paid a total of 20 cents.
They have a candy cane detail, but I thought I could make it
looked stripped by using reds and pinks.
So, I just painted the entire thing pink.
I wasn't loving the plain pink because you could still see the candy cane lines. So I Elmer Glued them up and glittered until my heart was content. You can still see a little of the pink coming through the glitter and I like it. Actually, it was my plan all along.
(Haha, right Michelle, whatever makes you feel better.)
The final product.
Glitter, Glue, and other Crap: on hand